Rules of Conduct
The Free Public Library of Hasbrouck Heights strives to provide the highest level of service to all library users. The following rules of behavior have been adopted by the Library Board of Trustees to protect and to assist with the use of information and cultural resources in a safe and pleasant environment, conducive to reading and learning.
PARTICIPATING IN ANY ILLEGAL ACTIVITY, OR IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING ACTIVITIES, IS NOT ALLOWED IN THE LIBRARY.
TO MAINTAIN PERSONAL SAFETY, PLEASE DO NOT
1. Leave any child who is under the age of seven or any other person who needs care unattended in the Library without adult supervision.
2. Request staff to protect or monitor children, adults needing care or personal belongings.
3. Film, photograph or interview patrons within the Library, unless approved by Library Director.
4. Smoke, use alcohol, narcotics, or hallucinogens on Library property or come intoxicated or display behavior of being under the influence of in the Library.
5. Bring animals into the Library, except service animals to assist patrons with disabilities.
6. Fail to wear proper attire, including shoes and shirt.
7. Skateboard, rollerblade or the like.
TO PRESERVE A PEACEFUL AND PLEASANT ENVIRONMENT, PLEASE DO NOT
8. Harass Library users or staff, verbally, physically or sexually.
9. Carry a weapon into the Library, unless authorized by law.
10. Use computers to display sexually explicit graphics or materials that are obscene, pornographic, or harmful to minors.
11. Engage in disruptive behavior that include, but not limited to: speaking above a normal tone, use of strong language, disrespect staff, running, pushing, and fighting or fail to respect designated quiet study area.
12. Interfere with another personâs use of the Library, materials or services or interfere with the Library Personnelâs performance of their duties.
13. Play any electronic device, including but not limited to any cell phones, audio equipment, handheld games or the like, unless the same are inaudible to others in the Library.
14. Solicit or attempt to obtain signatures to a petition, conduct surveys or distribute printed materials without the authorization of the library director.
TO PROTECT OUR FACILITY AND HOLDINGS, PLEASE DO NOT
15. Steal, damage or deface Library materials, premises or equipment.
16. Misuse the restrooms, e.g. as a laundry or bathing facility.
17. Use fire exits, except in emergency.
18. Move or misuse furniture, e.g. sitting on work surfaces or putting feet on chairs or tables.
19. Enter non-public areas without permission.
20. Consume food. Beverages are allowed but not in proximity to the computer centers.
21. Place bicycles anywhere on Library property other than the bicycle rack.
FOR THE PURPOSE OF ENFORCING THESE RULES, THE LIBRARY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO
* Inspect all Library materials, backpacks, oversized handbags, overcoats, luggage, shopping bags & packages.
* Report repeated disruptive behavior to parents, in the case of children, or to the police.
* Require anyone who engages in disruptive behavior to leave the premises. Anyone asked to leave the Library is NOT allowed to loiter in the vestibule, on the stairs, or on the first floor of the Municipal Building and must leave the building and its grounds.
* Restrict library phone use by patrons unless a member of the staff determines there exists an emergency situation.
LIBRARY USERS WHO FAIL TO OBSERVE LIBRARY RULES AND REGULATIONS MAY LOSE LIBRARY PRIVILEGES AND/OR BE SUBJECT TO POLICE INTERVENTION, INCLUDING ARREST.
ANY USER WHOSE PRIVILEGES HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED MAY REQUEST IN WRITING TO HAVE THE DECISION REVIEWED BY THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES.
Approved by The Board of Trustees 6/16/10
Last Reviewed 12/11/13